Part of our sausage range are these delicious and authentic Tuscan Sausages. Firm and meaty with plenty of garlic and seasoning they are make a tasty lunch or supper. There are three types, plain, chilli and fennel.
These Tuscan Sausages use a recipe that is typical of the home-made sausages that are found towards the north of Italy, in particular around Tuscany. They are good to use in any number of Italian recipes. They are very versatile and make good eating grilled, fried or boiled. Recipe here is with a tomato sauce and polenta.
Tuscan Sausages in Tomato Sauce Recipe
Serves 4 – the quantities easily scale up or down
8 Tuscan sausages from Morley Butchers
2 cans of chopped tomatoes
3 large cloves of Garlic
3 Salted Anchovy fillets
- Use a large high sided frying pan with a lid or cassarole for this dish .
- First boil the sausages – if they are not covered by the water turn them at the halfway point (add a bay leaf and some whole pepper corns for extra flavour) for about 10-15 minutes until they are firm. Reserve the cooking water to add to the sauce later. Then fry the sausages in olive oil to colour the outside to an attractive brown. Remove from the pan.
- Add more olive oil and fry the chopped garlic and the anchovies (which will melt away in the heat but add depth and richness to the sauce later) until the garlic starts to colour.
- Pour in the the tins of tomato plus a can full of water and stir to deglaze the pan capturing all the frying flavours. Add in the cooking water reserved from the sausages. Make sure the sausages are well covered. Add herbs (Fresh Oregano chopped looks good if you have it) and freshly ground pepper. (You could also add a splash of red wine)
- Return the sausages to the sauce and simmer on a very low heat until the chopped tomato has lost its shape and the sauce has thickened – about 30 to 40 minutes. Keep the pan lid on so the sauce does not evaporate. Check it from time to time and top up if required.
- The flavour of this dish is better is you do this stage in advance and the leave it for a few hours to mature then reheat before serving.
Tuscan Sausages serving suggestions
This is a great with “wet” Polenta (add plenty of cheese and butter) or alternatively go with mashed potato. Yum. The other essential here would be a robust Italian red wine.