The Game season will end soon so now is a great time to try this tasty Pheasant Casserole. Quick to prepare then just leave in the oven for rich and warming casserole. Just right for cold weather.
Game is wild, natural and free range with a distinctive flavour making it a great alternative other meats. As it is low in cholesterol and high in protein Game is one of the healthiest meats available today.
This pheasant recipe comes from Game to Eat. They have lots of information about game along with a selection of game recipes. They produce their own free recipe books which are available in the shop. If you are looking for some cooking ideas for game cooking come in and pick one up.
Serves: 4 Prep: 15 mins Cooking: 1 hour and 5 mins
Ingredients for Pheasant Casserole
(4oz) unsmoked bacon, cut into 3 or 4 pieces
25g (1oz) butter or oil
225g (8oz) shallots
25g (1oz) flour
570ml (1 pint) good stock or chicken stock cube
2 tsps redcurrant jelly
100ml (4fl oz) white wine
8 whole field mushrooms
Salt & pepper
Alternative: instead of using whole pheasant, allow 1 pheasant breast per person.
Method for Pheasant Casserole
- Melt butter or oil in a large pan and brown the pheasants all over. Remove.
- Sauté the shallots and bacon. Remove from the pan.
- Add enough flour to the pan to take up the remaining juices. Mix well.
- Add the stock, season and bring to the boil to thicken.
- Return the pheasant to the pan. Add the shallots and bacon and cover.
- Cook in the oven at 160C/375F/Gas 5 for approx 1 hour or until the juices run clear.
- Add the mushrooms about 10 minutes before the end of cooking.
Pheasant Casserole serving suggestions
Serve with fresh vegetables and crème fraiche mixed with horseradish. Roast potatoes would go well with this