A tasty steak recipe from local food blogger Silver Screen Suppers. If you were watching your twitter feed yesterday there were some enticing tweets as this dish was being prepared. All part of the virtual virtual Mad Men series finale party! Food, cocktail and lifestyle bloggers worldwide are posting blogs featuring food or drink from The Unofficial Mad Men Cookbook or other recipes that have appeared on Mad Men.
So if you would like to make this dish Silver Screen Suppers have provided the steak recipe. Its Adapted from “A Treasury of Great Recipes” by By Mary and Vincent Price. Visit the site and you can find more ideas and plenty of cocktails too.
We have the best sirloin steak in the shop that will add the extra flavour, making it a really special meal. More on our beef here
Ingredients for Hong Kong Butterfly Steak Recipe
- 350g / 12 ounce boneless sirloin steak from Morley Butchers about 2.5 cm / 1 inch thick
- 1/2 teaspoon monosodium glutamate
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon cognac
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup beef stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and dash of pepper
- dash of bottled steak sauce
- dash of chili sauce
- 1 jigger of cognac
- Trim the fat from the steak and with a sharp knife cut it almost in half horizontally. Open it up and spread it flat, so that it resembles a butterfly with open wings.
- Pound to flatten a little and sprinkle with the MSG. Rub 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper and 1 tablespoon cognac into meat and let stand about 15 minutes.
- Place under hot broiler or grill, and cook 3 minutes per side for rare.
- Place on a hot platter and keep warm.
- In the top of a chafing dish put: 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, 3/4 cup beef stock, 1/2 teaspoon salt, dash of pepper, dash of bottled steak sauce, dash of chili sauce. Stir and cook until sauce bubbles.
- Put steak in chafing dish and spoon sauce over it. Heat 1 jigger of cognac and pour, flaming, over the steak.