Try this delicious rack of lamb #recipe with a Feta crust and mint sauce. Taken from a cookbook by Anne Faber who is a journalist, award winning food blogger and TV cook, not to mention local resident! The Spring Lamb on our counter is looking really good right now and would make this recipe a very tasty meal.
Spring Lambs are those born in late winter or early spring and sold usually before July 1. Lamb in our shop in the shop now is at its best – very succulent and with a subtle flavour that comes from their diet of fresh grass.
Lamb quality from different farms and producers varies throughout the year depending on regional conditions that effect the grass on which the animals feed. In order to bring you the best Lamb at all times of year as traditional butchers we use our knowledge and experience to source the best meat from the specialist Lamb suppliers in London’s Smithfield Market.
About 1 hour cooking and preparation (plus time for the marinade)
Feta-Crusted Rack of Lamb with Mint Sauce ingredients
8-bone rack of lamb from Morley Butchers, French trimmed
1 tsp thyme
1 tbsp olive oil
zest of 1⁄2 lemon
2 garlic cloves, crushed
For the crust:
zest of 1⁄2 lemon
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
60g feta cheese, crumbled
For the mint sauce:
4 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
1 tsp sugar
a pinch salt
1 tbsp boiling water 3
tbsp white wine vinegar
Feta-Crusted Rack of Lamb with Mint Sauce method
- Start by marinating the rack of lamb. Mix the thyme, olive oil, lemon and garlic in a little bowl. Put the lamb rack into a non-metallic dish and rub the marinade all over.
- Cover with cling film and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or up to 24. The rack of lamb needs to be cooked from room temperature, so if you’re cooking within one hour after having added the marinade, leave the lamb out of the fridge to warm up.
- Prepare the mint sauce: combine all the ingredients and leave to rest for at least 30 minutes, so that all the flavours combine nicely.
- When you’re ready to cook the lamb, preheat the oven to 200°C. Season the rack of lamb with salt and pepper. Heat a frying pan and brown the rack well on the meaty side for about 1 minute, then turn and brown the fatty side for a further minute. Put into a roasting tin and prepare the crust.
- Combine all the crust ingredients in a bowl, and press onto the fatty side of the meat so that it sticks. Roast the lamb for 30-35 minutes. Cut through the middle to check if it’s done to your preference, if not, put it back in the oven for a few minutes.
- When done, take out of the oven and let the meat rest for at least 10 minutes, loosely covering it in foil to keep it warm.
As in the picture this dish will go very well with some dauphinoise potatoes
More about Anne Faber
Born and raised in Luxembourg, she came to the UK in 2003 to pursue her studies. Anne graduated with an MA in English literature from University College London and went on to do a postgraduate degree in journalism at the renowned City University in London – specializing in food and drink writing. Anne worked as a TV producer for APTN, ZDF and RTL and ate her way around London as a restaurant critic for Time Out London. In 2010, she started her food blog Anne’s Kitchen, which was honoured with a digital food award by Food & Wine magazine in 2013. Her accessible approach to cooking and quirky personality led RTL Luxembourg to commission her very own Anne’s Kitchen TV show, which started airing in September 2013.
This recipe is taken from Anne’s book where she shares 100 of her favourite British-inspired recipes. As well as Rack of Lamb expect comforting pies, lovely afternoon tea delights and party nibbles. You can have a look at it here and also order it on Amazon UK .
Buy Our Lamb Online
Can’t make it to Crouch End? You can now buy from our on-line butchers shop. We have teamed up with the local deliver specialists Hubbub who will deliver from Morley Butchers and a range of other local shops to your front door. Each order is fulfilled from our shop, the meat is sold by weight, at the regular shop price and hand-picked or cut by us on the day of purchase.